- General. Access to and use of this website ("Journal Watch") is subject to the Terms and Conditions set forth herein. Any use of this website shall constitute acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
- Copyright Ownership and Permitted Use. Unless otherwise stated, the materials available at Journal Watch are the property of the Massachusetts Medical Society (MMS) and are protected under U.S. and international copyright laws and conventions. Except as otherwise provided by U.S. copyright law, materials from Journal Watch may be viewed, reproduced, or stored for private, noncommercial purposes only. For information on obtaining permission to copy beyond that permitted by these Terms and Conditions, or U.S. copyright law, please refer to the copyright information pages.
- Trademark Ownership. The Massachusetts Medical Society (and logo design), Journal Watch (and logo design), and AIDS Clinical Care (and logo design) ("MMS Trademarks") are trademarks of MMS. Any use of MMS Trademarks in connection with the sale, offering for sale, distribution, or advertising of any goods or services, which is likely to cause confusion, to cause mistake, or to deceive, is strictly prohibited.
- Website Integrity. Interfering with the operation of Journal Watch or circumventing the Journal Watch security system is strictly prohibited.
- Modifications of Terms and Conditions. MMS reserves the right to modify the Terms and Conditions for Journal Watch at any time. Any such modification will be posted on Journal Watch, and the continued use of Journal Watch after any such posting shall constitute acceptance of the Terms and Conditions as modified.
- Website Modifications and Availability. MMS will make reasonable efforts to keep Journal Watch available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. However, owing to technical failures, routine maintenance, or other unforeseen circumstances, availability may be limited, and MMS will not be responsible for the nonavailability of Journal Watch. MMS reserves the right to modify, suspend, discontinue, or restrict access to, all or any part of Journal Watch at any time.
- Disclaimer of Warranties and Liability. Materials published at Journal Watch are the result of research and/or contribution by independent individuals or organizations. MMS is not responsible for the accuracy or reliability of any data or conclusions reported in such materials. Journal Watch is intended for educational, research, and reference purposes only. The content of this publication should not be substituted for the advice of a qualified health care professional. Do not disregard or avoid professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of materials at Journal Watch. JOURNAL WATCH IS PROVIDED "AS IS" ON AN "AS AVAILABLE BASIS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT WILL MMS, ITS EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, MEMBERS, AGENTS, OR LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, OR ANY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE INABILITY TO USE, OR THE USE OF, JOURNAL WATCH, WHETHER OR NOT ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGES, OR ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF JOURNAL WATCH.
- User-Generated Content. The following provisions apply to user-generated content posted to or submitted for posting to Journal Watch. By submitting content to Journal Watch, you agree to the following provisions, which may be amended from time to time:
- International Use. Journal Watch is controlled and operated within the United States of America. MMS makes no representation that the materials or services available at or through Journal Watch are appropriate or available for use outside of the United States. If you access Journal Watch from outside of the United States, you are responsible for compliance with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Choice of Law and Forum. The use of Journal Watch, these Terms and Conditions, and all actions contemplated by these Terms and Conditions shall be governed by the laws of the United States of America and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as if these Terms and Conditions were an agreement wholly entered into and wholly performed within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The exclusive jurisdiction for any claim or action arising from or relating to these Terms and Conditions or the use of Journal Watch shall be with the state or federal courts located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, USA.
- Endorsements. Descriptions of, references to, or links to other products, publications, or services does not imply endorsement of any kind unless expressly stated by MMS.
- Login Security. Sharing Journal Watch login information is strictly prohibited.
- Copyright Complaints. MMS respects the intellectual property ownership rights of others. If you believe your work has been reproduced at Journal Watch in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please notify us by following the instructions in our notice about making claims of copyright infringement.
o You agree that you are fully responsible for the content that you post or submit. You agree that you will not post or submit any content that (i) is defamatory, obscene, or abusive, (ii) violates or infringes upon the proprietary, publicity, or privacy rights of any third party, (iii) violates or encourages the violation of any applicable local, state, national, or international law, rule, or regulation, or (iv) is otherwise inappropriate. You agree not to post or submit any personal information of another (including, without limitation, Protected Health Information). You will indemnify MMS from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of the content you post or submit. You understand and agree that MMS is not responsible for content posted or submitted for posting by third parties. Journal Watch, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to reject, edit, remove, or otherwise alter any content submitted or posted to Journal Watch for any reason. MMS reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to revoke a user’s privilege to post content to Journal Watch.
o By posting or submitting content to Journal Watch, you hereby grant to MMS a royalty free, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide license to use, reproduce, sublicense, modify, publicly perform, display, translate, create derivative works from, and distribute that material, in whole or in part, and incorporate it into other MMS publications, in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed. You authorize MMS to publish your name and location (city, state and/or country) in connection with any use of your submission to Journal Watch and in identifying yourself and location, you represent that you have done so accurately. Once your submission is posted, you will not have the right to have it removed or edited.
o You understand and agree that user generated content at Journal Watch is intended only to provide general information concerning medical conditions and treatments. This information is not a substitute for medical attention or advice from your health-care provider. MMS does not endorse or make any representations as to the reliability or accuracy of any user generated content posted or submitted to Journal Watch. You are fully responsible for your own use of such content.
o You agree to post or submit content to Journal Watch only for non-commercial purposes.
o Submissions to Journal Watch must be comprehensible and written in the English language.
o You agree that you have disclosed any relevant competing interests that, when broadly viewed, could be construed as a conflict of interest or the appearance thereof including, without limitation, financial or beneficial conflicts of interest, employment relationships, and affiliations with other entities or interests.
Please note: If you are using one of the popular "offline browsers" that allow you to download content from a site and read it later, please be aware that we impose one restriction on their use.
In order for us to provide reliable, continuous, and timely access to Journal Watch for all readers, we require that you configure your offline browser to request no more than one page per minute.
Be aware that noncompliance with this rule will result in your access to Journal Watch being blocked until you contact us and resolve the problem. If you repeatedly break this rule, you will be permanently blocked from the site.
Last updated March 2008