Search for pregnancy termination in all Journal Watch editions
Physician-authored summaries on the latest research on pregnancy termination, editorials on pregnancy termination, and perspectives on pregnancy termination - drawn from the top medical journals.
- Abortion pills could help at least 80% of U.S. women who seek pregnancy termination.
- Winikoff B et al., Obstet Gynecol 2012 Nov; 120:1070.
- This remote option was effective and acceptable.
- Grossman D et al., Obstet Gynecol 2011 Aug; 118:296.
- Women found surgical termination of second-trimester pregnancy to be less stressful and more acceptable than medical termination.
- Kelly T et al., BJOG 2010 Sep 22;:
Prostaglandins have been used in the U.K. in first trimester abortions to facilitate the procedure and reduce morbidity, but side effects such as abdominal pain, . . .
- December 1, 1998
- MA Shepard
- Women's Health
- Thompson AJ et al., Lancet 1998 Oct 3; 32:
When prenatal diagnosis identifies fetal anomalies, some couples terminate the pregnancy. To explore the psychological effects of making this choice, a case-control study compared 23 . . .
- August 24, 1993
- General Medicine
- Zeanah CH et al., Obstet Gynecol 1993 Aug; 82:
- Women who chose immediate intrauterine device insertion were much more likely to undergo the procedure than were women who waited, with no difference in complications.
- Fox MC et al., Contraception 2011 Jan; 83:34.
Mifepristone (RU 486) has been used to terminate pregnancy in Europe and China, but has not been available in the U.S. This large trial reports . . .
- June 1, 1998
- W Levinson
- Women's Health
- Spitz IM et al., N Engl J Med 1998 Apr 30; 338:
- Major malformations after first-trimester exposure to mifepristone are relatively rare.
- Bernard N et al., BJOG 2013 Jan 24;:
- One year later, most women were still using the subdermal contraception they received postabortion.
- Madden T et al., Obstet Gynecol 2012 Nov; 120:1053.
- Oral opioids were associated with more harm than benefit.
- Micks EA et al., Obstet Gynecol 2012 Nov; 120:1060.
- Demographic and medical factors, as well as women's attitudes about abortion, affected their likelihood of anticipating difficulty coping after the procedure.
- Foster DG et al., Contraception 2012 Jul; 86:84.
- Those who are younger, black, or less educated are more likely to terminate pregnancies after 12 weeks' gestation.
- Jones RK and Finer LB., Contraception 2012 Jun; 85:544.
- Use of misoprostol was associated with higher incidence of abdominal pain and vaginal bleeding without significantly lower risk for uterine perforation.
- Meirik O et al., Lancet 2012 Mar 8;:
- Little progress has been made in tackling this preventable cause of maternal death.
- Sedgh G et al., Lancet 2012 Jan 19;:
Diagnosing conversion disorders; new medications and neurostimulation treatments for depression; omega-3s in bipolar disorder; abuse and depression; fear extinction in anxiety disorders; mental effects of abortion; imaging in ADHD; smoking and weight gain; brain stimulation; nocebos
- October 31, 2011
- Most practicing obstetrician-gynecologists reported encountering women who seek abortions, but only 14% provide such services.
- Stulberg DB et al., Obstet Gynecol 2011 Sep; 118:609.
- Rates of unintended pregnancy and abortion were lower in women who received 1-year supplies of oral contraceptives.
- Foster DG et al., Obstet Gynecol 2011 Mar; 117:566.
- A large Danish study showed no link between first-trimester abortion and subsequent mental health problems.
- Munk-Olsen T et al., N Engl J Med 2011 Jan 27; 364:332.
- Among nulliparous women, those with histories of abuse or difficult miscarriage or abortion had the highest risk for PTSD.
- Seng JS et al., Obstet Gynecol 2009 Oct; 4:839.
- In a Finnish study, overall incidence of adverse events was low within 42 days after abortion but was higher following medical abortions than after surgical abortions.
- Niinimäki M et al., Obstet Gynecol 2009 Oct; 114:795.