Search for liver function tests in all Journal Watch editions
Physician-authored summaries on the latest research on liver function tests, editorials on liver function tests, and perspectives on liver function tests - drawn from the top medical journals.
- A battery of quantitative liver-function tests might provide a noninvasive method of risk assessment.
- Everson GT et al., Hepatology 2012 Apr; 55:1019.
"Liver function tests" is a misnomer for the measures that clinicians commonly use in practice because the parameters (e.g., bilirubin, albumin, and prothrombin time) are . . .
- February 11, 2003
- Kenneth D. Flora, MD
- Herold C et al., Dig Dis Sci 2002 Dec; 47:2669-73.
- When tests are repeated, results are normal in 12% to 36% of cases.
- Lazo M et al., Ann Intern Med 2008 Mar 4; 148:348.
- The FibroIndex, developed by Japanese researchers, has reasonable predictive accuracy.
- Koda M et al., Hepatology 2007 Feb; 45:297-306.
The biochemical side effects of isotretinoin treatment for acne vulgaris are well recognized. These include modest increases in plasma cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Based on . . .
- February 1, 1994
- JS Dover
- Barth JH et al., Br J Dermatol 1993; 129:
The FDA has approved a new ezetimibe-atorvastatin tablet (brand name, Liptruzet) for lowering cholesterol in patients with primary or mixed hyperlipidemia, and in those...
- May 6, 2013
- Physician's First Watch
- Awareness of morphologic pattern and of seasonal viruses may help with a difficult diagnosis.
- Drago F et al., J Am Acad Dermatol 2012 May 22;:
- A comparison of 10 screening strategies identified two that increase life expectancy and are cost-effective.
- Linas BP et al., Clin Infect Dis 2012 May 21;:
- Hepatic ultrasound is indicated for infants with five or more cutaneous hemangiomas, especially those younger than 6 months.
- Horii KA et al., Pediatr Dermatol 2011 May/Jun; 28:245.
Among 350 patients, 17% of test results were outside the normal range, but only 1.6% led to further evaluation, and only one patient benefited.
- September 29, 2011
- David J. Amrol, MD
- General Medicine
- Tarbox JA et al., Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2011 Sep; 107:239.
- Finally, a vector that delivers the right gene to the right cellular location . . .
- Li H et al., Nature 2011 Jul 14; 475:217.
- High-risk sexual behavior is associated with HCV transmission among HIV-positive men who have sex with men.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)., MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2011 Jul 22; 60:945.
Two experts describe how they would handle our latest Antiretroviral Rounds case.
- April 15, 2011
- A new phase II study reveals some limitations.
- Mesa RA et al., Blood 2010 Nov 25; 116:4436.
- Crizotinib, an anaplastic lymphoma kinase inhibitor, yielded a response rate of 57% in a phase I trial.
- Kwak EL et al., N Engl J Med 2010 Oct 28; 363:1693. Hallberg B and Palmer RH., N Engl J Med 2010 Oct 28; 363:1760.
- No clear benefit was shown for the one-stage technique.
- Rogers SJ et al., Arch Surg 2010 Jan; 145:28.
- A review of the clinical and biochemical features, risk factors, and treatment options for this family of disorders
- Puy H et al., Lancet 2010 Mar 13; 375:924. al Muñoz-Santos C., Medicine 2010 Mar; 89:69.
- Characteristics of metabolic syndrome are not stable in children.
- Gustafson JK et al., J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2009 Dec; 94:4828.
The thrombin inhibitor dabigatran is as effective as warfarin in treating acute venous thromboembolism, according to a New England Journal of Medicine study released online...
- December 7, 2009
- Physician's First Watch
- Consensus-based guidelines from the International Society for Bipolar Disorders
- Ng F et al., Bipolar Disord 2009 Sep; 11:559.