Search for bone research in all Journal Watch editions
Physician-authored summaries on the latest research on bone research, editorials on bone research, and perspectives on bone research - drawn from the top medical journals.
- Large retrospective cohort study shows DMPA use did not raise fracture risk.
- Lanza LL et al., Obstet Gynecol 2013 Mar; 121:593.
- Age, body-mass index, and duration of inflammatory bowel disease were risk factors for osteoporosis in patients with PSC.
- Angulo P et al., Gastroenterology 2011 Jan; 140:180.
- Results in a small group represent progress toward sustained clinical improvement.
- Wagner JE et al., N Engl J Med 2010 Aug 12; 363:629. Bruckner-Tuderman L., N Engl J Med 2010 Aug 12; 363:680.
- Bone density at the hip decreased by 2% in postmenopausal women taking rosiglitazone.
- Grey A et al., J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007 Apr; 92:1305-10.
- Contradictory findings from two trials remind us that this area of clinical research is still in its early stages.
- Schächinger V et al. for the REPAIR-AMI Investigators., N Engl J Med 2006 Sep 21; 355:1210-21. Lunde K et al., N Engl J Med 2006 Sep 21; 355:1199-209. Rosenzweig A., N Engl J Med 2006 Sep 21; 355:1274-7.
- A promising benefit at 6 months had diminished by 18 months.
- Meyer GP et al., Circulation 2006 Mar 14; 113:1287-94. Welt FG and Losordo DW., Circulation 2006 Mar 14; 113:1272-4.
- Could this discovery lead to better osteoporosis therapy in humans?
- Hayashi M et al., Nature 2012 May 3; 485:69. Zaidi M and Iqbal J., Nature 2012 May 3; 485:47.
- Routine detection of occult sentinel node and bone marrow micrometastases is not clinically indicated for early breast cancer.
- Giuliano AE et al., JAMA 2011 Jul 27; 306:385. Merkow RP and Ko CY., JAMA 2011 Jul 27; 306:436.
- Four studies about the effects of PPI therapy
- Wang C-H et al., Arch Intern Med 2010 May 10; 170:751. Gray SL et al., Arch Intern Med 2010 May 10; 170:765. Linsky A et al., Arch Intern Med 2010 May 10; 170:772. Howell MD et al., Arch Intern Med 2010 May 10; 170:784. Katz MH., Arch Intern Med 2010 May 10; 170:747.
- Annual intravenous therapy increased BMD and reduced bone turnover in men with nonmetastatic disease.
- Michaelson MD et al., J Clin Oncol 2007 Mar 20; 25:1038-42.
- Receptor stimulation might have therapeutic value in fighting one of the most lethal forms of brain cancer.
- Piccirillo SGM et al., Nature 2006 Dec 7; 444:761-5.
- Bone-mineral density was lower in progestogen users than in nonusers, but the clinical significance of this finding isn’t clear.
- Curtis KM and Martins SL., Contraception 2006 May; 73:470-87. d’Arcangues C., Contraception 2006 May; 73:443-4.
In a case series, long-term alendronate use was associated with reduced rates of bone formation and inadequate fracture healing.
- April 5, 2005
- Allan S. Brett, MD
- General Medicine
- Odvina CV et al., J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005 Mar; 90:1294-301. Ott SM., J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005 Mar; 90:1897-9.
- How can we identify osteoarthritis (OA) patients who are at high risk for disease progression? Bone marrow edema (detected by magnetic resonance imaging of the . . .
- Felson DT et al., Ann Intern Med 2003 Sep 2; 139:330-6.
- Biologists and physicians have assumed that both beneficial and adverse effects of estrogens (and androgens) are triggered by their attachment to nuclear receptors. Within the . . .
- Kousteni S et al., Science 2002 Oct 25; 298:843-6.
Suppressing seizures remains a primary goal of antiepilepsy drug (AED) therapy, but maintaining general health is emerging as an equally pressing concern. New information about . . .
- April 26, 2002
- Martha J. Morrell, MD
- Valmadrid C et al., Arch Neurol 2001 Sep; 58:1369-74. Heller HJ and Sakhaee K., Arch Neurol 2001 Sep; 58:1352-3.
Postmenopausal estrogen therapy (ET) increases skeletal mass by opposing bone resorption. Serial BMD measurements reliably demonstrate the therapeutic efficacy of ET; however, significant BMD improvement . . .
- February 6, 2001
- DE Judge
- Women's Health
- Watts NB et al., Menopause 2000 Nov/Dec; 7:
The joint destruction seen in rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is known to be immunologically mediated, but which molecules are critical to the process has been unclear. . . .
- December 3, 1999
- AL Komaroff
- General Medicine
- Kong Y-Y et al., Nature 1999 Nov 18; 402:
Invasive aspergillosis is a well-recognized complication of intensive chemotherapy for hematologic malignancies. Successful treatment requires antifungal therapy and resolution of the patient's neutropenia. Once in . . .
- June 1, 1998
- B Britigan
- Infectious Diseases
- Offner F et al., Clin Infect Dis 1998 May; 26:
- Two of three new studies found a small benefit in left ventricular ejection fraction; none of the studies found important complications.
- Schächinger V et al., N Engl J Med 2006 Sep 21; 355:1210-21. Lunde K et al., N Engl J Med 2006 Sep 21; 355:1199-209. Assmus B et al., N Engl J Med 2006 Sep 21; 355:1222-32. Schwartz RS., N Engl J Med 2006 Sep 21; 355:1189-91. Rosenzweig A., N Engl J Med 2006 Sep 21; 355:1274-7.