Search for bone pain in all Journal Watch editions
Physician-authored summaries on the latest research on bone pain, editorials on bone pain, and perspectives on bone pain - drawn from the top medical journals.
- Patients with hematologic malignancies who received long-term voriconazole developed bone pain and periostitis.
- Gerber B et al., Blood 2012 Sep 20; 120:2390.
- Not in this large cohort
- Bargren AE et al., J Am Coll Surg 2011 Sep; 213:410.
- Nine patients developed a malignancy over 2 to 13 years; a neutrophilic, perivascular, infiltrative process was the most frequent histopathological presentation.
- Sokumbi O et al., J Am Acad Dermatol 2012 May 22;:
- Denosumab recipients achieved a 4.2-month improvement in bone metastasis–free survival compared with placebo recipients.
- Smith MR et al., Lancet 2011 Nov 16;: Logothetis CJ., Lancet 2011 Nov 16;:
- The management of advanced renal cell cancer (RCC) has evolved into a sequential paradigm since the current generation of agents targeting the vascular endothelial growth . . .
The FDA has approved denosumab (marketed as Xgeva) for the prevention of fracture and bone pain in patients with cancer that has metastasized to the...
- November 22, 2010
- Physician's First Watch
- European trial results suggest that adding IV bisphosphonate therapy improves outcomes.
- Gnant M et al., N Engl J Med 2009 Feb 12; 360:679.
- Intravenous bisphosphonate prevented loss of BMD associated with chemotherapy.
- Hershman DL et al., J Clin Oncol 2008 Oct 10; 26:4739.
- IV bisphosphonate provided long-term protection against BMD loss in premenopausal women receiving adjuvant endocrine therapy.
- Gnant M et al., Lancet Oncol 2008 Sep; 9:840.
- Lenalidomide, given as a continuous daily oral dose, showed antitumor activity in one third of heavily pretreated CLL patients.
- Ferrajoli A et al., Blood 2008 Jun 1; 111:5291.
- Results of a meta-analysis indicate that efficacy is unproven.
- Palmer SC et al., Ann Intern Med 2007 Dec 18; 147:840. Tonelli M., Ann Intern Med 2007 Dec 18; 147:880.
Bisphosphonates may cause "severe and sometimes incapacitating" musculoskeletal pain, the FDA warned on Monday. Patients may develop intense pain within days, months, or years of...
- January 8, 2008
- Physician's First Watch
- Joint complaints are common among women who receive AIs.
- Crew KD et al., J Clin Oncol 2007 Sep 1; 25:3877.
- Two years of tamoxifen followed by a switch to anastrozole is an effective adjuvant therapy for ER-positive breast cancer.
- Kaufmann M et al., J Clin Oncol 2007 Jul 1; 25:2664-70. Lin NU and Winer EP., J Clin Oncol 2007 Jul 1; 25:2639-41.
- Paget disease of bone, characterized by increased bone turnover, is relatively common in older populations. It often is discovered incidentally at early asymptomatic stages, but . . .
- Reid IR et al., N Engl J Med 2005 Sep 1; 353:898-908.
A Positive Epstein-Barr Virus PCR in the CSF in an HIV-Infected Patient: When the Pathogen Does Not Match the Syndrome
Eduard is a 56-year-old man who tested HIV-positive in 1991, after his wife tested positive during pregnancy. His CD4 count, initially 192 cells/mm3, . . .
- February 1, 2004
- Elizabeth R. Jenny-Avital, MD, Christina M. Marra, MD, Elizabeth R. Jenny-Avital, MD, and Christina M. Marra, MD
Consider 2 clinical observations: (1) Primary care physicians often encounter patients with unexplained musculoskeletal complaints, and (2) studies have documented a surprisingly high prevalence of . . .
- January 9, 2004
- Allan S. Brett, MD
- General Medicine
- Plotnikoff GA and Quigley JM., Mayo Clin Proc 2003 Dec; 78:1463-70. Holick MF., Mayo Clin Proc 2003 Dec; 78:1457-9.
Systemic corticosteroids are powerful tools that enable dermatologists to treat a large spectrum of diseases. However, the potential benefits of systemic glucocorticoids must be carefully . . .
- May 1, 1998
- Sandra K Knowles, BScPharm, and Neil H Shear, MD, Sunnybrook Health Science Centre, University of Toronto
Breast cancer is most common in older women, yet these women may not be routinely offered breast examinations. These British researchers interviewed 100 hospitalized women . . .
- December 1, 1997
- MA Shepard
- Women's Health
- Haigney E et al., BMJ 1997 Oct 25; 315:
For patients with advanced breast cancer, bone pain and fractures are among the worst complications and severely impair quality of life. Pamidronate, a bisphosphonate that . . .
- February 1, 1997
- SD Gharib
- Women's Health
- Hortobagyi GN et al., N Engl J Med 1996 Dec 12; 335: